Podcasting, it seems, has been undergoing a bit of a Renaissance in the past couple of years.
Now that there are default podcast apps on both Android and iOS, more people than ever are listening and subscribing to podcasts. And, with easier access to quality equipment and editing software, it seems like everyone is starting their own. Even your grandma probably has a podcast.
So why shouldn’t you?
In this week’s episode, Martin and I will be going over the entire process of starting a podcast, step by step.
We’ll talk about:
- Why you might want to start a podcast
- How to choose a show format and topic
- Equipment and editing software recommendations – what we use, as well as entry-level picks
- How to edit your episode
- Where to host your podcast files
- How to get your show listed in iTunes
- Tips for marketing your show and having a successful launch
Even though this is ostensibly a college/education show, you guys have been surprisingly vocal in requesting that we cover this topic ever since the episode on how to start a blog went live.
I suppose everyone’s curious about how the sausage is made.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- Tom on Snapchat
- Martin on Twitter
- So You Want to Start Your Own Blog (Ep. 125)
- Magnetic Memory Method Podcast
- 9 Life-Changing Books (Ep. 96)
- Deep Work: How to Focus and Resist Distractions (Ep. 100)
- From College To Successful Startup With Leo Widrich from Buffer (Ep. 2)
- The Art Of Promoting Yourself (Ep. 4)
- A Conversation with U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan (Ep. 75)
- Pocket Casts
- Hardcore History
- Hello Internet
- Gilmore Guys
- Giant Bombcast
- Listen Money Matters
- 99% Invisible
- The Truth
- Welcome to Night Vale
- Philosophy and Love and Stuff (Ep. 107)
- What It Takes to Open a Coffee Shop (Ep. 114)
- Skill Building, Project Planning, and DIY (Ep. 123)
- Shure SM7B Dynamic Microphone
- Rode NTG4 Plus Shotgun Microphone
- Mackie PROFX8V2 Mixer
- Adobe Audition
- Audio-Technica ATR2100 USB Dynamic Microphone
- Blue Yeti
- Opinion Podcasting
- Mobile Podcaster
- Logic Pro
- Our roommate Quinton’s podcast, Otaku Fight Night
- Audio Diffusion Foam
- Pamela Call Recorder
- Ecamm Call Recorder
- How to Setup a Mix Minus for Recording Skype
- The Obstacle Is the Way, by Ryan Holiday
- Please, Please, For the Love of God: Do Not Start a Podcast
- Pat’s Complete Step-by-Step Podcasting Tutorial
- The Ultimate Guide to Building a Personal Website
- How to Podcast: The Ultimate Guide to Podcasting
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: