Ever heard of this thing called social media?
Well, it turns out it’s more than just a prime source for the finest Minions memes. Having a decently-sized follower list can make a big difference depending on your career or artistic aspirations. But how do you do it?
Here are some things to keep in mind to help you grow your social media following.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Hover: Hover: Your personal brand is important, and it starts with your domain name. Get 10% off your first domain name purchase by going to hover.com/cig.
- Todoist: If you’re a student or educator, you can get Todoist’s awesome Premium features – like project templates and automated reminders – for 50% off at https://todoist.com/education.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- College Info Geek Discord Server
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- So You Want to Start Your Own Blog (Ep. 125)
- How to Build a YouTube Channel (Ep. 134)
- How to Start Your Own Podcast (Ep. 133)
- How to Become a Published Author (Ep. 102)
- How to Give a Killer Speech (Ep. 212)
- Martin’s Nighttime Flower photo
- Martin’s Ant photo
- The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland, by Catherynne M. Valente
- Ansel Adams on Wikipedia
- Ira Glass on Wikipedia
- This American Life podcast
- Study Advice From a Medical Student (Ep. 26)
- Weapons of Influence #1: Reciprocation (Ep. 186)
- Charisma on Command on YouTube
- Charisma on Command’s The Rock video
- Charisma on Command’s Chris Pratt video
- Matt Shirley on Instagram
- Lewis Howes on Instagram
- Display Purposes
- Anti Parallali on Instagram
- Taylor Swift on Instagram
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:05:09 – Why grow your social media following
- 0:19:24 – Bad ways to grow you following
- 0:29:34 – Thoughts on posting daily and maintaining quality
- 0:35:15 – Sponsor: Hover (Buying a domain name)
- 0:37:48 – Sponsor: Todoist (Managing your tasks)
- 0:39:25 – Doing behind the scenes and over the shoulder content
- 0:40:25 – Celebrating your wins and interacting with your audience
- 0:43:16 – Figuring out which hashtags to use in your posts
- 0:52:00 – Understanding how the social media algorithms work
- 0:53:48 – Asking people to follow you and what makes us not follow someone
- 0:59:11 – Interacting with other people and being patient
- 1:01:50 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: