Sometimes, a shiny new toy is just the thing to help you reach the next level in a skill or hobby.
Those times are few, unfortunately. Shiny new toys are quite often just fun distractions that make you feel good without really doing anything.
We’re spending this episode talking about how to tell the difference. Next time you buy a new camera lens, computer, or course, you’ll (hopefully) know it wasn’t just a placeholder for hard work.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: with over 27,000 courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free weeks of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- How to Be Good at Everything — The Rapid Skill Learning Process (Ep. 210)
- 10 Essential Life Skills That Every Student Should Have (Ep. 175)
- Why You Shouldn’t Tell People About Your Goals
- Potato Jet on YouTube
- Duet Display (iOS)
- This is How Matt D’Avella Works
- How to Stop Feeling Tired in the Afternoon
- Matty Brown’s Low Budget Filmmaking course on Skillshare
- italki (iOS | Android)
- Essentialism: How to Do More by Doing Less (Ep. 171)
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less, by Greg McKewon
- How to Actually Use Productivity Tips and Improve Your Life (Ep. 176)
- 5 Questions: Keeping Track of Bills, Coasting, and Moving to a New City (Ep. 275)
- Let’s Talk About Minimalism (Ep. 272)
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondō
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:03:14 – Buying new gear makes you think you’re improving
- 0:10:42 – Discussing some of our gear
- 0:22:02 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:24:17 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:26:27 – Discussing some of our gear (continued)
- 0:27:17 – Knowing when you really need to upgrade your gear
- 0:39:38 – Investing in education, and applying what you learn
- 0:54:01 – Getting started with your hobby
- 1:09:56 – Buying online courses
- 1:12:18 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: