Minimalism is pretty popular these days.
Unfortunately, like with eating organic foods, it can be hard to see past the hype: will this do everything they say it will, or is it just a garden-variety good idea?
Does owning 100 or fewer things really give you superpowers, or does it just make it easier to clean?
Here’s our take.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: with over 27,000 courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free weeks of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
- Audible: Get a free audiobook download and a free 30-day trial by going to Audible.com/CIG or texting “CIG” to 500-500 on your phone.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- The Best Way to Organize Your Files and Folders
- Colin Wright
- Matt D’Avella on YouTube
- The Minimalists
- The Wolf of Wall Street, by Jordan Belfort
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondō
- Start With Why, by Simon Sinek
- Simon Sinek’s Presentation Essentials course on Skillshare
- Turo (iOS | Android)
- Stanley Marketplace
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:04:43 – Minimalism overview
- 0:13:07 – Removing things that aren’t bringing you value
- 0:16:57 – Trying things before committing and minimizing wasted energy
- 0:19:09 – Coming back to your values and not buying things based on social status
- 0:27:12 – Sponsor: Audible (Listening to audiobooks)
- 0:30:23 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:31:44 – Not caring as much about perfection
- 0:33:43 – Becoming a minimalist
- 0:36:51 – Conciliating mementos with minimalism
- 0:48:57 – Getting rid of things when you’re not moving and that you may need later
- 1:03:31 – Sharing things with your community
- 1:07:01 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: