Being more connected than ever comes with consequences.
Well, it’s not all bad. It also comes with more opportunities than ever before. But still, consequences.
It’s relatively simple to interview remotely and land a job on the other side of the country. It’s even simpler to just work remotely and cut out the moving process entirely. This means that for the most desirable opportunities, you’re probably competing with far more than just the local talent pool.
In this kind of an environment, standing out from the crowd is more important than ever. In a pile of 1,000 resumes, you can’t afford to be just another one.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: with over 27,000 courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free weeks of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- The AIDA Model
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- Procreate (iOS)
- Jarom Vogel’s Digital Illustration: Learn to Use Procreate course on Skillshare
- Jason Allen’s Music Theory Comprehensive: Part 1 course on Skillshare
- Young Guru’s Learn How to Mix Music course on Skillshare
- A Book Apart
- Florian is all in
- The Game, by Neil Strauss
- Exploding the Phone, by Phil Lapsley
- Imposter Syndrome (Ep. 278)
- How to Write a Cover Letter
- Resume Tips From a Hiring Director Who Read 10,000 Resumes (Ep. 40)
- How to Make Great Things
- How Much Water Should You REALLY Be Drinking?
- CrashCourse on YouTube
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:08:56 – The AIDA Framework
- 0:22:23 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:25:15 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:27:13 – Getting the right kind of attention
- 0:39:00 – Things you shouldn’t do to get attention
- 0:44:51 – Going to networking events
- 0:49:53 – Writing a cover letter
- 1:00:52 – Making a good first impression
- 1:11:33 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: