Have you ever felt like you weren’t actually qualified to do what you do?
Well, so have a lot of other people. But the interesting thing about imposter syndrome is that it seems to happen to many of us whether or not we’re actually qualified.
I feel it about borderline everything I’m known for doing, at least to some degree. But is there anything that can be done to make it go away?
We talk about our experiences with imposter syndrome, why we think so many feel it, and whether we might be able to do anything about it.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Audible: Get a free audiobook download and a free 30-day trial by going to Audible.com/CIG or texting “CIG” to 500-500 on your phone.
- Skillshare: With thousands of courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free months of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- How to Hack Your Memory with the “Major System”
- Andrew Huang on YouTube
- Leonardo da Vinci, by Sir Walter Isaacson
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- Lindsey Holmes’ Productivity with Evernote course on Skillshare
- 5 Rules (and One Secret Weapon) for Acing Multiple Choice Tests
- My New (Better) Morning Routine
- MrBeast on YouTube
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, by John Ratey
- How to Study Effectively: 8 Advanced Tips
- Study Less Study Smart
- How to Make Great Things
- Essentialism, by Greg McKeown
- The Motivation Hacker, by Nick Winter
- Harvard Business Review’s Overcoming Imposter Syndrome article
- TierZoo on YouTube
- AsapSCIENCE on YouTube
- The Path to College, Pt. 1: Getting Accepted
- The Path to College, Pt. 2: Paying for It
- The Path to College, Pt. 3: Becoming College-Ready
- A Master Class on Buying a Car – Part 1 (Ep. 69)
- A Master Class on Buying a Car – Part 2 (Ep. 70)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:05:56 – How we struggle with imposter syndrome
- 0:23:22 – Sponsor: Audible (Listening to audiobooks)
- 0:26:21 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:28:44 – Feeling like you’re a failure or “washed out”
- 0:44:15 – Thinking you can’t fail
- 0:54:36 – Leading yourself to believe you’re not competent
- 1:08:06 – Attributing your success to luck
- 1:13:10 – Downplaying your accomplishments and final thoughts
- 1:37:15 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: