Here we go once again with the email. For today’s Q & A, episode we’ve taken 5 of your questions from emails, Tweets, comments, and The College Info Geek Community on Reddit, and we’ll be talking a bit about each.
Our questions today are:
- Do I need social media to succeed in university if I don’t already have it?
- Do extrinsic rewards kill intrinsic motivation?
- Should I use an alarm or let my body decide how much sleep I need naturally?
- How do I future proof a portfolio site and domain name if I plan to get married and change my last name in the future?
- Can having a boyfriend or girlfriend slow down your activity? Is a relationship more of a benefit or an inconvenience?
If you’ve got a question burning in the back of your mind, let us know — even if we don’t end up with time to answer you personally, we’re always looking for what to talk about next.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- 5 Questions: Early Networking, Cold Showers, and Morning Routines (Ep. 173)
- The College Info Geek Community
- Cal Newport
- Deep Work, by Cal Newport
- Thomas and Martin on LinkedIn
- News Feed Eradicator for Facebook (Chrome)
- Tom’s Focus app
- College Info Geek on Facebook
- Primitive Technology on YouTube
- College Info Geek on LinkedIn
- CPG Grey on YouTube
- CGP Grey’s website
- CGP Grey’s Royal Family video
- Overjustification Effect
- Beeminder (iOS | Android)
- Couch to 5K (iOS | Android)
- Fitocracy (iOS | Android)
- Strava (iOS | Android)
- Circadian Rhythm
- How to Get to Bed on Time and Stop Losing Sleep
- The Science Behind Getting Better Sleep (Ep. 124)
- Sleep Cycle alarm clock (iOS | Android)
- How to Wake Up Early and Make It a Habit
- WebTalentMarketing – How to Change Your Name and Preserve Your SEO
- How to Be a Good Significant Other (Ep. 177)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:03:09 – How to submit questions for the podcast
- 0:04:06 – Benefits and setbacks of using social media
- 0:17:28 – How external rewards can boost or destroy your motivation
- 0:23:15 – Deciding when and how to fall asleep or wake up
- 0:26:34 – Explaining sleep cycles
- 0:31:16 – Changing your last name when you’ve already established a presence
- 0:37:12 – Managing productivity and a romantic relationship
- 0:44:40 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: