If there’s one thing that the majority of humans can agree on, it’s that dating other humans is pretty cool.
In one of our more recent episodes, we touched a little on this topic, but after quite a few requests it became clear that for whatever reason, people wanted to hear more about what many consider one of the most important aspects of our lives. Weird.
With that in mind, Thomas and I decided to have a very candid episode about our relationship experiences, our romantic ideals, and a few of the mistakes we’ve made in our own relationships.
Please keep in mind that in this area and many others, we are neither right nor wrong. We can’t give any clever recipes for success here, and fancy guru-level life hacks like the Pomodoro Technique aren’t likely to improve your dating life (probably). But, if just a few of you can pull something out of our honest reflections and use it to improve your chances at happiness, it’d be a pretty good ending for any mistakes we might have made in getting to where we are today.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by Storyblocks. If you need to get your hands on some stock video footage, images, or audio for your next project, Storyblocks might be the place for you.
- History of Our World podcast
- Disasterpeace’s ‘Fez’ soundtrack
- 10 Essential Life Skills That Every Student Should Have (Ep. 175)
- Tinder (iOS)
- Tinder (Android)
- Philosophy and Love and Stuff (Ep. 107)
- Making Friends And Connections As An Introvert (Ep. 47)
- The Friends Game (Trello system)
- Real Men Real Style YouTube channel
- The Art of Loving, by Erich Fromm
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:01:59 – Tom and Martin’s relationship stories
- 0:09:51 – Meeting people and finding a significant other
- 0:15:36 – Improving yourself to become more attractive
- 0:19:53 – Having a partner who motivates you to better yourself
- 0:25:40 – Living as a unit, but without being completely dependent
- 0:32:38 – Sponsor: Storyblocks (Graphic design assets)
- 0:37:00 – Noticing and fixing relationship flaws and scheduling stuff
- 0:41:40 – Keeping in touch with people
- 0:48:37 – Not having the same drive or interests as your significant other
- 0:56:11 – Offering emotional support instead of immediately finding a solution
- 0:59:24 – Different relationship dynamics
- 1:02:01 – The need for honest and frequent communication
- 1:18:09 – Being consistently thoughtful to your partner
- 1:21:31 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: