It’s the end of an era. Today marks the sixth and final chapter in our series on Robert Cialdini’s “Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion.”
And now that you know that, you should value this episode ever so slightly more due to the effect of scarcity — the same effect that pushes us toward limited edition Oreo flavors and convinces people gold is worth something.
Coupled with this more obvious sense of scarcity is the principle of loss aversion: the idea that we tend to value things we have more than things we don’t.
If Oreos and gold didn’t seem serious enough for your tastes, it turns out that these principles can also explain a good chunk of history’s uprisings and revolutions.
So no matter what you do, don’t take this psychological influencer lightly — after all, you won’t know what you have until it’s gone.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- RXBAR: Whole food protein bars made with real ingredients and no B.S. Get 25% off of your first order by going to https://rxbar.com/cig and entering promo code “CIG” at checkout.
Other things mentioned in this episode:
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, by Robert Cialdini
- Robert Cialdini
- Weapons of Influence #1: Reciprocation (Ep. 186)
- Weapons of Influence #2: Commitment and Consistency (Ep. 189)
- Weapons of Influence #3: Social Proof (Ep. 193)
- Weapons of Influence #4: Liking (Ep. 195)
- Weapons of Influence #5: Authority (Ep. 197)
- Packing for Mars, by Mary Roach
- Mary Roach
- Psychological reactance
- Hello Internet podcast
- Kurt Vonnegut
- David Mitchell
- Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell
- The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, by David Mitchell
- Future Library
- Streisand effect
- Barbra Streisand
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- $20,000 Black Lotus
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:01:27 – Thoughts on the podcast going forward
- 0:09:18 – Scarcity and dealing with opportunities
- 0:21:37 – Psychological reactance
- 0:28:30 – Sponsor: RXBAR (Whole food protein bars)
- 0:31:18 – Thoughts on limited time offers
- 0:38:54 – Deceiving people through limited offers
- 0:45:39 – Figuring out why you want something
- 0:53:55 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: