This week we’ve decided to talk about how to pivot into a new career. We’ve been through a series of shifting job descriptions for quite a few years at this point, and I imagine there are quite a few people who get a job and realize it’s not quite what they want to be doing.
We’re also talking a bit about our own upcoming pivot into a new podcast! The College Info Geek Podcast will end after episode 300, to be replaced by something shiny and new. That shiny, new podcast will continue to take form as we get closer to the date, and I imagine we’ll give even more details as it approaches.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: With thousands of courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. If you’re one of the first 500 to use this link, you can also get started with 2 free weeks of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ new Habit-Building class!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- 2019 Year in Review (Plus Our Plans for 2020) (Ep. 285)
- Linus Tech Tips on YouTube
- Paul Graham’s Having Kids article
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You, by Cal Newport
- Thomas’ Habit-Building course on Skillshare
- How to Budget Your Money Without Cutting Coffee (Ep. 174)
- A Crash Course on How to Start Investing (Even If You’re in Debt) (Ep. 168)
- Nerd Fitness
- Smart Passive Income
- Jenny Blake on YouTube
- Listen Money Matters
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:01:33 – Thoughts on our future podcasting
- 0:17:02 – Deviating from our majors and considering a new career
- 0:34:08 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:37:25 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:39:57 – Transitioning to a new area
- 0:55:28 – Martin’s game dev
- 0:59:05 – Moving away from College Info Geek
- 1:20:58 – Building relationships with people you admire
- 1:29:16 – Recap and conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: