A while back we did an episode about the research needed to buy a new home after we realized we both wanted houses at some point.
This week, we’re continuing that topic by going into the actual cost of buying a home. The mortgage may be the first thing you think of, but it turns out there’s a bit more involved.
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
- Todoist: If you’re a student or educator, you can get Todoist’s awesome Premium features – like project templates and automated reminders – for 50% off at https://todoist.com/education
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- College Info Geek Discord Server
- College Info Geek Merch
- Thomas’ budget modeler
- A Master Class on Buying a Car – Part 1 (Ep. 69)
- A Master Class on Buying a Car – Part 2 (Ep. 70)
- How to Buy Your First House, Pt. 1: The Research Process (Ep. 205)
- Listen Money Matters
- PMI chart
- Credit Karma (iOS | Android)
- How to Budget Your Money Without Cutting Coffee (Ep. 174)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:04:40 – Determining the cost of a house and its monthly mortgage payments
- 0:25:15 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:27:19 – Sponsor: Todoist (Managing your tasks)
- 0:29:49 – Dealing with PMI (private mortgage insurance)
- 0:38:05 – Property taxes, homeowners insurance, monthly repair costs and maintenance
- 0:47:39 – Recap and conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: