For many, a job interview is the final challenge of your youth – the step that concretely separates you from your childhood as you leave school and head into the wonderful world of bills and responsibilities.
Unfortunately, many of us still reach that challenge feeling a little unprepared.
In a perfect world, being great at your chosen skillset or field of study would be enough — but it turns out that in this particular world, there are too many people to make settling into an occupation as simple as just identifying with it.
Until we’re as qualified and self-assured as that guy, we’re better off learning a few business and communication skills, so we can make sure others see us the way we want them to.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- Resume Tips From a Hiring Director Who Read 10,000 Resumes (Ep. 40)
- The Power of Storytelling in Job Interviews (Ep. 80)
- Listen Money Matters
- 5 Resume Mistakes You Need to Avoid
- Elon Musk
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future, by Ashlee Vance
- CNBC – How to get hired by Elon Musk
- The Balance – 28 Behavior Based Job Interview Questions
- The Balance – Job Interview Questions and Answers
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Salary Negotiation and Student Loan Payoff Tactics (Ep. 38)
- In-Depth Salary Negotiation Tactics (Ep. 52)
- Fearless Salary Negotiation Tips With Josh Doody
- Combatant Gentlemen
- How to Upgrade Your Wardrobe and Dress Better (Ep. 128)
- Real Men Real Style YouTube channel
- Video interview with Dr. Nun S. Amen Ra
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- Design Shack – The Importance of a “Leave-Behind” for Clients: Top Tips & Advice
- How To Land Your Dream Internship, by Tam Pham
- How to Land Your Dream Internship (Ep. 129)
- Confessions of a Recruiting Director, by Brad Karsh
- Getting from College to Career, by Lindsey Pollak
- Steal the Show, by Michael Port
- Ramit Sethi
- Ramit Sethi’s YouTube channel
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:02:07 – What are job interviewers looking for in a candidate?
- 0:11:07 – Possible interview questions that may come up
- 0:19:16 – Some general traits that apply to most jobs
- 0:23:45 – Negotiating your possible salary
- 0:28:58 – Having the correct mindset when applying for a job
- 0:35:32 – Choosing what to wear to an interview
- 0:45:01 – Respecting every employee at the workplace
- 0:48:31 – Practicing interviews and thinking before speaking
- 0:52:40 – Handling the aftermath of an interview
- 1:01:31 – Don’t be overly negative about your previous jobs
- 1:04:29 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: