Careers can look like they might be a straight line from start to finish. At least, from the outside.
Something like this:
- Figure out what you want to do
- Major in it in college or go to a vocational school.
- Get the perfect first job, or else you’ve thrown everything else off and your life is ruined.
But really, it’s a lot more messy and confusing than that. So, to prove it, we’re talking about the varied experiences that led us to what we’re doing now, many of which didn’t seem to be leading anywhere in particular when we experienced them.
If you’re unsure where your future lies or you’re worried you’ve started off on the wrong foot, never fear: you’re probably just as terrible at predicting your future as the rest of us.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: with over 25,000 courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free weeks of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- The Hacksmith on YouTube
- Jujimufu on YouTube
- alpha m. on YouTube
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- Rachel Andrew’s CSS Essentials course on Skillshare
- The Path to College, Pt. 1: Getting Accepted (Ep. 109)
- The Path to College, Pt. 2: Paying for It (Ep. 110)
- The Path to College, Pt. 3: Becoming College-Ready (Ep. 111)
- The Smart Passive Income Podcast
- Fluent in 3 months
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:01:20 – Announcement: The podcast will become bi-weekly
- 0:18:02 – How we would describe our careers
- 0:21:59 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:24:19 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:26:49 – Thomas’ career path
- 0:36:03 – Martin’s career path
- 0:48:55 – Building College Info Geek and making it a full-time business
- 1:03:58 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: