Did you know cameras were once used for things other than selfies?
Ridiculous, I know. But if you’ll just believe for a moment, you’ll soon be able to discover the vast world of photography, useful as an art form, a social media post generator, and a personal branding advantage.
I’ve been taking photos seriously for almost three years and have been posting daily photos for 181 days now, and Thomas has been shooting video and using photos to boost his personal brand for quite a while as well.
If you’ve ever wanted to take your photography skills to the next level, even if it’s just slightly more professional headshots for your personal website, this episode is for you.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- How to Not Get Hacked (Ep. 187)
- How to Grow Your Social Media Following (Ep. 224)
- How to Study Effectively with Flash Cards
- How Much Water Should You REALLY Be Drinking?
- How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes
- Fstoppers’ Exposure Triangle article
- Canon Rebel SL2 DSLR Camera
- Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- Meike Automatic Extension Tube
- Sony SEL90M28G FE 90mm f/2.8-22 Macro Lens
- Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens
- Sony SEL35F18 35mm f/1.8 Prime Fixed Lens
- Unbox Therapy on YouTube
- Listen Money Matters
- Mango Street on YouTube
- Peter McKinnon on YouTube
- Caleb Wojcik on YouTube
- Jared Polin on YouTube
- The Photographer’s Ephemeris
- Borrow Lenses
- Adobe Lightroom
- Affinity Photo
- Light Pollution Map
- Snapseed (iOS | Android)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:13:31 – Why did we do an episode about this topic
- 0:18:12 – Why does Martin like photography
- 0:26:00 – How to get started in photography
- 0:32:24 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:34:47 – How to feel about your old work
- 0:38:02 – Should you buy expensive gear as a beginner?
- 0:44:08 – Why upgrade your equipment and what to upgrade first
- 0:57:14 – Upgrading from your smartphone to a camera and lens
- 1:09:40 – Gear, tips and techniques for taking better photos
- 1:24:41 – Looking at other people’s work
- 1:30:45 – Photography resource recommendations
- 1:43:00 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: