Ever wondered how people seem to make a living on the internet?
Well, wonder no more. We’re spending this week’s episode demystifying the world of content creation and online influencers.
How do we make money while selling almost no products? Why are people willing to pay us to sponsor things? Can anyone get a sponsor?
Who knows, if it’s what you want to do, you might just be able to use this episode to start planning your own internet media empire. Otherwise, you’ll at least know how you’re being marketed to, and some of the stuff we talk about can be applied elsewhere, like job hunting.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Audible: Get a free audiobook download and a free 30-day trial by going to Audible.com/CIG or texting “CIG” to 500-500 on your phone. Also, for the rest of this July, if you’re an Amazon Prime member, you can also get 3 months of Audible for just $4.95 per month.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- College Info Geek Merch
- Weapons of Influence #1: Reciprocation (Ep. 186)
- Charisma on Command on YouTube
- Real Men Real Style on YouTube
- How Netflix Maintains a Low Churn Rate
- Gentleman’s Gazette on YouTube
- The Shallows, by Nicholas G. Carr
- What the Internet Does to Your Brain
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne M. Valente
- How to Learn a New Skill Quickly: A 4-Step Process
- Swim University on YouTube
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- TierZoo on YouTube
- Listen Money Matters
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:04:55 – Ads, having influence and keeping people hooked
- 0:27:09 – Sponsor: Audible (Listening to audiobooks)
- 0:30:50 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:32:43 – How we make money without selling almost any products
- 0:39:00 – Sponsors and not advertising things we don’t believe in
- 0:43:01 – Multi-level marketing
- 0:52:29 – Using the funneling concept to land a job
- 1:00:25 – Succeeding on YouTube and filling a certain niche
- 1:11:26 – How you can start making money on the Internet
- 1:18:43 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: