How does the path of a design student differ from that of students in other majors? How do design students deal with the very subjective nature of their work?
In this episode, I’ve brought my girlfriend Anna Ellenberger on to talk about her experiences as a graphic design student.
You’ll learn about the process of getting into a design program, how she’s developed a process for professional work, and also how to stand out amongst intense competition in a subjective field. Anna also tells a stories about how she’s been able to make connections with professional designers and win awards with her work.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- Anna’s website/portfolio
- Connect with Anna on Twitter
- Anna’s prints on Etsy
- Pragmatic Thinking and Learning
- The high cost of art school
- College tuition discounts through reciprocity agreements
Resources of the Week:
At the beginning of each episode, I briefly feature one tool I’ve found to be useful, as well as one learning resource I’ve found enlightening.
- The Tool: Stack Exchange is an excellent question/answer site with a ton of different communities based around specific topics. It can be a fantastic place to get homework help and other answers.
- The Learning Resource: Treehouse is a library of interactive video courses where you can learn how to code, build websites, design, and more. It’s where I learned how to make iPhone apps!
Listener Tip of the Week
This week’s listener tip comes from listener Hannah. Thanks Hannah! Check out the episode to hear her tip.
“Hey, I have a great tip too!” – you
On every episode listener tip on each episode before I dive into the main content. Want to be featured on the podcast? I’m looking for tips in each of these categories:
- General college tips – learning, studying, productivity, etc
- Jobs and internships
- Money management
If you’d like your tip featured on the show, email it or tweet it to me!
Also, remember to leave your name – and if you’d like me to give a shoutout to something of yours (your website, twitter profile, etc), mention that as well.
A couple great quotes from our conversation:
“Design is a lot more motivating when you feel there’s an actual purpose to your work.” | Tweet This
“Enter competitions with your work, even if you’re scared. It’s worth it.” | Tweet This
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!