Sometimes we need something unexpected to come and shake up our perspective.
Well, I’m not sure I needed this, exactly, but it happened anyway.
If you noticed my absence in last week’s episode, it’s because I had a mountain biking accident and had to have surgery, among other medical things.
Obviously this experience was unpleasant, but in true College Info Geek fashion I’m making the most of it by focusing on a few lessons I took away from it. Luckily for you, you can just listen to this podcast episode instead of learning them the hard way.
So here are the things that have been on my mind since the accident. Here’s hoping my next life lessons come in less dramatic packaging.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
- Todoist: If you’re a student or educator, you can get Todoist’s awesome Premium features – like project templates and automated reminders – for 50% off at Todoist.com/education.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- How Much Owning a Home Will ACTUALLY Cost You (Ep. 225)
- Seth’s Bike Hacks on YouTube
- The Hedonic Treadmill (Ep. 226)
- Thomas’ Top 10 Favorite Podcasts (Ep. 228)
- What I Learned From Almost Dying On The Side Of The Road
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:00 – What happened to Martin?
- 0:22:56 – Facing your fears head-on
- 0:30:11 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:32:36 – Sponsor: Todoist (Managing your tasks)
- 0:34:23 – Relying on positive motivators rather than negative ones
- 0:37:47 – Taking breaks from being disciplined
- 0:41:55 – Closing thoughts on Martin’s experience and bike safety tips
- 0:55:45 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: