As the school year comes to a close, job season is upon us.
This means it’s time to dust off the ol’ resume and cover letter template, fill them out again for your current dream company of choice, and cross your fingers.
Of course, you probably won’t get a job from these two alone, but that just makes their focus even more clear: you want your resume and cover letter to get you an interview. This means you don’t need to stress about how to fit your life story onto one piece of paper, and you can focus on just the things that’ll pique their interest.
Yeah, it’s not that fun. But the sooner this is over, the sooner you can keep paying for, like, food or whatever — hopefully with a career path you’re proud to follow.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- Tom on Instagram
- Martin on Instagram
- Learning to Learn video with Neil deGrasse Tyson
- How to Write a Resume
- 7 Resume Mistakes You Need to Avoid
- How to Write a Cover Letter
- Tom’s Resume
- Resume Tips From a Hiring Director Who Read 10,000 Resumes (Ep. 40)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:05:39 – Martin’s photography on Instagram
- 0:16:52 – What to put in a resume and showing interest in a job
- 0:24:53 – The education section
- 0:29:38 – The work experience section
- 0:32:44: – Listing your achievements instead of your duties
- 0:37:17 – Showcasing your technical skills
- 0:43:32 – How to make sure your resume isn’t ignored
- 0:47:39 – Writing cover letters
- 0:54:01 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: