Every business has to start somewhere.
In the case of College Info Geek, it was born as a side project. In fact, it wasn’t even meant to be a business to begin with — but here we are.
So gather ’round, one and all, and hear the tale of how Thomas accidentally found the pathway to creating our jobs.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
- Hover: Your personal brand is important, and it starts with your domain name. Get 10% off your first domain name purchase by going to Hover.com/cig.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- How To Build A Hanging Desk In 15 Minutes
- The Ultimate Guide To Building A Personal Website
- My Quest To Build An iPhone App (Or, How To Get Out Of A Required Class)
- The Smart Passive Income Blog
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich
- 5 Questions: Mornings, Quarter-Life Crises, and Dealing with Negativity (Ep. 257)
- The War of Art, by Steven Pressfield
- The Motivation Hacker, by Nick Winter
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:01:57 – Why Thomas started College Info Geek
- 0:08:21 – How CIG grew and became a business
- 0:27:08 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:29:14 – Sponsor: Hover (Buying a domain name)
- 0:31:39 – How Martin joined the team
- 0:50:54 – Starting the podcast
- 0:58:42 – Going pro
- 1:08:22 – The current state of the business
- 1:16:27 – Why Thomas went all-in on the website
- 1:19:28 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: