Have you ever been to an anime or comic convention?
If so, you’ll likely have noticed people running artist booths to sell their own art or other creations.
In today’s episode I’ve swapped out with artist Anna Ellenberger so she can talk about what’s it like and what it takes to be one of these artists.
If you’ve ever wanted to sell your art in any capacity, you’ll likely find something useful here, so get a note-taking device ready and open your mind for some fresh inspiration.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: with over 27,000 courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free months of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- It’s Raining Color (Anna’s art website)
- It’s Raining Color on Facebook
- It’s Raining Color on Instagram
- It’s Raining Color on Twitter
- It’s Raining Color on Tumblr
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- A Darker Shade of Magic, by V. E. Schwab
- The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss
- bill wurtz’s History of Japan video
- Graphic Illustration: Boldly Design with Color and Shape course on Skillshare
- Digital Illustration: Learn to Use Procreate course on Skillshare
- Procreate (iOS)
- Anna’s Creepy Cute Spooks Enamel Pin Set on Kickstarter
- Anna’s notes on finding new cons
- What It Takes to Open a Coffee Shop (Ep. 114)
- So You Want To Be in Artist Alley
- How to Move to a New City (From Start to Finish)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:00:00 – Where to find Anna’s artwork
- 0:09:54 – Anna’s progress and tips for getting accepted into cons
- 0:20:13 – Deciding whether it’s worth going to a con
- 0:25:33 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:28:33 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:30:18 – Choosing where to sit at a con and keeping track of what’s popular
- 0:40:40 – Selling your art while being an introvert
- 0:45:39 – How much Anna spends and earns with her art
- 0:55:25 – Finding new cons to go to
- 1:05:22 – How Anna keeps track of the cons she’s interested in
- 1:14:11 – Making friends at cons
- 1:19:19 – Overview of Anna’s Artist Alley presentation
- 1:26:01 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: