According to our analytics, you’re probably on your phone right now.
That’s no issue on its own. That’s the most obvious place to listen to a podcast, after all. But what else have you done between now and the moment you picked up your phone?
For many of us, we’d have to admit that we opened an app or two that had nothing to do with this. Our skillful thumbs may have found their way to Instagram on the way here. It’s just a quick stop, after all.
But, as you’ve perhaps already noticed, those stops add up.
We’re not doomed to this. At least, I don’t think so. We just need to change how we live with technology.
So today, we’re talking about Cal Newport’s book, Digital Minimalism, to see if we can piece together some good ideas for shifting our lives away from notification badges and toward something a bit more fulfilling.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: with over 27,000 courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free weeks of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- Digital Minimalism, by Cal Newport
- Deep Work, by Cal Newport
- Deep Work: How to Focus and Resist Distractions (Ep. 100)
- What It Takes to Open a Coffee Shop (Ep. 114)
- Should You Work with Your Friends? (Ep. 281)
- H3 Podcast on YouTube
- Joe Rogan’s podcast
- How Music Works, by David Byrne
- Justin Gignac’s Going Freelance course on Skillshare
- How to Break up with Your Phone, by Catherine Price
- How to Be More Like Leonardo da Vinci (Ep. 240)
- Martin’s Photo Print Shop on INPRNT
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:05:19 – Our dependence on technology
- 0:28:24 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:30:31 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:32:53 – Having periods of solitude
- 0:56:37 – Taking breaks from social media
- 1:25:30 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: