Business and friends don’t mix. At least, that’s what a lot of people seem to think, and for good reason.
A job you like plus a friend you like can easily end up cancelling each other out, leaving you with neither. But why?
Furthermore, why does it still manage to work in some cases? Why have Thomas and I been able to work together for years without running either College Info Geek or our friendship into the ground?
To find the answer, we’re talking about some of our experiences that didn’t go so well, along with some of the things we do now to mitigate the risk of catastrophe.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Audible: Get a free audiobook download, 2 free Audible originals, and a free 30-day trial by going to Audible.com/CIG or texting “CIG” to 500-500 on your phone.
- Skillshare: With thousands of courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free months of unlimited learning (including Thomas’ Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Turtles All the Way Down, by John Green
- Rationality: From AI to Zombies, by Eliezer Yudkowsky
- Ali Abdaal on YouTube
- Ali Abdaal’s Final Cut Pro course on Skillshare
- Benjamin Heath’s Portrait Photography course on Skillshare
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:02:30 – Occasions where working with friends didn’t go so well
- 0:19:18 – How we’ve managed to work together
- 0:29:03 – Sponsor: Audible (Listening to audiobooks)
- 0:33:42 – Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:35:54 – Splitting benefits fairly
- 0:52:08 – Working with a significant other
- 1:08:41 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: