Every time we meet someone new, we roll the mystical dice of life.
Will we fall in love with this person? Will they inspire us to wear better socks?
Or, perhaps, will they nudge us just a little closer to the life we want to live?
If you want an internship, a job, or just the chance to talk about yourself at a few interviews, the career fair’s a great place to roll the dice a few times. It’s not often that we’ll run into so many people involved in our career field at the same time, so the odds are in our favor if we’re willing to make the most of it.
Of course, this works the same way for every other meet-up, convention, or book club we find ourselves in. So, if you’re past the career fair stage of your existence, don’t forget to shake things up a little anyway.
At the very least, how else are you going to meet people to play Mario Party with?
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
- Hover: Your personal brand is important, and it starts with your domain name. Get 10% off your first domain name purchase by going to hover.com/cig.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Evernote (iOS | Android)
- Bear (iOS)
- Notion (iOS | Android)
- Money Lab
- Listen Money Matters
- CGP Grey on YouTube
- Sara Dietschy on YouTube
- Benny Lewis
- Epic Rap Battles of History on YouTube
- Silver-Medal Mentors
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:10:20 – Why go to Career Fairs
- 0:13:40 – Dressing up and showing off your work
- 0:25:46 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:27:50 – Sponsor: Hover (Buying a domain name)
- 0:31:37 – Researching the companies you’re interested in
- 0:34:39 – Practicing with other companies before talking to the ones you like
- 0:39:27 – Why go to networking events and conferences
- 0:57:23 – How to find new events
- 0:58:57 – Recap and conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: