Fun fact: people were fit long before we invented bench pressing or treadmills.
Yes, it’s quite impressive. But perhaps more importantly, it also proves we don’t have to get a gym membership to be healthy. Which is useful for me, an introvert who would rather work out alone, and also a person who doesn’t like paying for memberships I don’t enjoy having.
Another benefit is that you can do most of these things at home, which will be perfect for the colder months ahead if you’re somewhere that isn’t safe from winter.
Anyway, enjoy this week’s episode, and bonus points to anyone who happens to listen while exercising.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Audible: Get a free audiobook download and a free 30-day trial by going to audible.com/CIG or texting “CIG” to 500-500 on your phone.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Tim Ferriss’ Secrets of Gymnastic Strength Training episode
- Gymnastic Bodies
- Yoga With Adriene on YouTube
- Bodyweight Fitness subreddit
- Nerd Fitness
- 30-day dead hang challenge
- T Nation
- Yes4All Deluxe Chin Up Bar Doorway
- Turtles All the Way Down, by John Green
- Stealing Fire, by Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal
- Strava (iOS | Android)
- Thomas on Strava
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:01:08 – Doing yoga or body weight exercises as an easy way to improve your fitness
- 0:16:26 – Building your own home gym
- 0:25:13 – Sponsor: Audible (Listening to audiobooks)
- 0:29:55 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:31:14 – Building your own home gym (continued)
- 0:35:30 – Trying out different sports
- 0:43:40 – Recap and conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: