What’s the most effective method for tackling your reading assignments?
Last week’s video was all about prioritizing your reading assignments in order to figure out which you can safely skip, and which you still need to read.
For the ones that do need reading, you’re going to want to figure out the most time-efficient way to get through them.
- Figuring out the specific information you need to pull out of a reading (hint: “all of it” isn’t the correct answer)
- Getting that information into your brain without spending hours going over it
- Retaining that information for later use
Today’s video is the start of a mini-series I’m creating in order to thoroughly cover all of these topics and more – and to hopefully help you learn much more efficiently from your readings going forward.
I intended to cover everything in this one video… but during the research process, I quickly realized I needed to break it up. I ended up with a lot more to share than I anticipated:
So here’s the deal:
- This week, I’m going over strategies for discerning what kind of information you need to learn from your books and how to get into the habit of reading consistently.
- The next video will be all about active reading strategies that will help you learn that information much more quickly than the average student
I may do one or two other videos after that depending on how much content I’m able to cover in the next one. If you’re new to CIG, you can join the newsletter to get notified when it’s out!
Note: The next video will be released December 4, as I’m traveling for Thanksgiving. Feel free to cry about this to your mother.
If you’re unable to see the video above, you can view it on YouTube.
- It’s quite old, but Virginia Voeks’ On Becoming an Educated Person is a great book.
- If you want some extra motivation to build a reading habit, check out HabitRPG.
- You can also join the CIG guild there!
What reading strategy do you find yourself employing in most of your classes?
If you liked this video, subscribe on YouTube to stay updated and get notified when new ones are out!