I’ve been thinking a lot about music this year.
Instruments have been a part of my life for a long time, but I’m no virtuoso. At some point, I hit a skill level that I just didn’t care enough to push through and moved on to other things.
But this year, I’ve rededicated myself to piano. In fact, I’ve probably improved more at both music theory and practice in the last three months than in the last five years.
So today, Thomas and I are sharing our experiences with musical instruments and how we’ve been learning to play them.
If you have an instrument you’ve always wanted to play, or perhaps one in a closet somewhere that you’d like to dust off, clear your schedules. This might just be the right time to rekindle your love for music.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
- FreshBooks: Accounting and invoicing software that automates your tasks and lets you get back to doing your real work. Get your first 30 days free by going to FreshBooks.com/CIG and entering College Info Geek in the “How did you hear about us?” section.
- Audible: Get a free audiobook download and a free 30-day trial by going to Audible.com/CIG or texting “CIG” to 500-500 on your phone.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Thomas on Instagram
- Thomas’ song on Spotify
- Gris OST – Karasu
- Music Theory 101, by Brian Boone and Marc Schonbrun
- Adam Neely on YouTube
- How to Listen to and Understand Great Music, by Robert Greenberg
- Atomic Habits, by James Clear
- Guitar Lesson’s CAGED System article
- Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy on YouTube
- The Axis of Awesome – 4 Chords
- Hack Music Theory – video about Run The Jewels’ “Let’s Go”
- Synthesia (iOS | Android)
- Yousician (iOS | Android)
- William Gillock – Phantom Rider
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:03:43 – Clip: Martin playing the piano and Thomas playing the guitar
- 0:07:27 – What instruments does Martin play
- 0:11:17 – How we practice and learn new pieces
- 0:17:44 – Why learn music theory
- 0:23:52 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:25:32 – Sponsor: Audible (Listening to audiobooks)
- 0:28:26 – Sponsor: FreshBooks (Managing your invoices)
- 0:30:03 – What piano should you buy, or where you can use one
- 0:35:01 – Taking lessons and how Thomas learns guitar
- 0:43:54 – Breaking down songs and listening to them more attentively
- 0:50:31 – Conclusion
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the podcast on iTunes! It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure 🙂 You can also leave a review!
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: