Cash rules everything around me, so I probably shouldn’t spend it all.
Unfortunately, that can be easier said than done if I’ve fallen into some bad spending habits. And it happens — I’ve definitely looked at a few bank statements only to be shocked at how much I can spend on food when I’m not thinking.
But, I’d wager I’m not alone in this. It may not be food, but it’s pretty easy for anyone too busy to consider every purchase to have a financial weak spot.
So, to make sure we have enough to save up for that life-size Jar Jar Binks doll we’ve always wanted, we’re going over a few ways to start curbing a bad spending habit before it goes too far.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Mint (iOS | Android)
- Daily Budget (iOS)
- USDA Food Plans
- Strides (iOS)
- Momentum (iOS)
- Atomic Habits, by James Clear
- Weapons of Influence #2: Commitment and Consistency (Ep. 189)
- Bear (Mac | iOS)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:02:54 – Tracking your expenses and spending less
- 0:22:00 – Curbing impulse spending
- 0:27:52 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:35:38 – Don’t invest too much on a new hobby
- 0:39:04 – Figure out what exactly is making you spend all your money
- 0:40:46 – Ignoring sales
- 0:42:38 – What subscriptions are you actually making use of
- 0:46:53 – Friends that make you spend too much money
- 0:51:48 – Recap and conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: