Do you remember life before the smartphone? I do. I remember it so clearly, and yet it still seems completely unreasonable to exist without one today.
I regard this as a bit of a burden (because I’m an old curmudgeon), but obviously we’re getting something good out of it or we’d see more people giving them up. Why would I want to give up constant access to GPS navigation?
Anyway, if this is the way things are going to be, we might as well get as much as we can out of our smart devices to make up for the inconveniences to our focus and posture.
With that in mind, here are ten apps that help make smartphones worth the hassle.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 83 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- Evernote (iOS | Android)
- Scanbot (iOS | Android)
- Scannable (iOS)
- Daily Budget (iOS)
- Daily Budget alternative for Android
- Mint (iOS | Android)
- Qapital (iOS | Android)
- Digit (iOS | Android) – Requires a monthly payment
- Dashlane (iOS | Android)
- LastPass (iOS | Android)
- 1Password (iOS | Android)
- How to Not Get Hacked: 9 Tips for Securing Your Digital Life (Ep. 187)
- Authy (iOS | Android)
- Google Authenticator (iOS | Android)
- The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor, by Gabriel García Márquez
- RecUp (iOS)
- Smart Recorder (Android)
- Yousician (iOS | Android)
- Scrivener (iOS)
- Martin’s Ant Photo on Instagram
- Strava (iOS | Android)
- Tom’s budget modeler
- Habitica (iOS | Android)
- Just 6 Weeks (iOS | Android)
- FitBod (iOS)
- Fitocracy (iOS | Android)
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:06:44 – Scanning documents with Scanbot
- 0:10:59 – Tracking expenses with Daily Budget
- 0:20:56 – Managing your passwords with Dashlane
- 0:29:43 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:32:13 – Focusing and relaxing with Brain.fm
- 0:36:27 – Recording your thoughts with RecUp
- 0:39:34 – Apps for doing creative work
- 0:42:27 – Tom’s budget modeler
- 0:57:42 – Tracking your habits with Habitica
- 1:00:08 – Taking screenshots with Greenshot
- 1:03:44 – Working out with Just 6 Weeks
- 1:07:09 – Conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media: