CIG Podcast 004:
The Art of Promoting Yourself
With Dan Schawbel
Listen below or download this episode on iTunes
What does it take to get your name out beyond your school’s walls – to establish yourself as an expert in your area of interest and get the job or internship you want?
I’ll tell you this right now: you aren’t going to do it just by getting a degree. Just doing an internship and participating in clubs isn’t going to do it either. These days, you need to learn how to build a personal brand and effectively promote yourself.
Ask Dan Schawbel and he’ll definitely agree. Dan is one of the most well-known personal branding experts out there today, and is a highly successful author and speaker – not to mention being the founder of his own company, Millennial Branding.
Dan’s got some impressive achievements under his belt, including being on the 30 Under 30 lists of both Inc. and Forbes. He was also listed on Bloomberg Businessweek’s list of 20 entrepreneurs you should follow on Twitter.
In this podcast episode, I interview Dan and get him to spill the beans on the following questions:
- What exactly is personal branding?
- How can students discover their passion and then become the go-to person for it?
- What are some specific strategies you can use in college to build your brand and promote yourself?
If you’ve got goals of your own – a specific job you want, a company you want to start, influential people you want to meet – then you need to listen to Dan’s advice. Even if you don’t yet know what you want to do, this interview should give you some guidance that can help you get started.
Items mentioned in this episode:
- Student Branding Blog
- The Promote Yourself Podcast – Dan’s new podcast (subscribe on iTunes)
- Promote Yourself – Dan’s 2nd book, coming September 2013
- Finish Up Weekend – (the reason I’m heading to Austin)
- Follow Dan on Twitter
Things you should do right after listening:
- Start thinking about what you want to be known for and how you can become the go-to person on that subject
- Make a list of things you need to do to start promoting yourself, such as tailoring your resume, building a personal website (learn how here), and establishing a professional presence on key social networks.
So, what if you don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. Enter your email in the orange box below, and you’ll get instant access to my toolbox of resources designed to help you promote yourself – including a comprehensive checklist of things you can start doing today to build your brand.
Also, keep an eye out for Dan’s new book Promote Yourself, which will be dropping in September. I’ll be reading and reviewing it myself soon.
P.S. – If you enjoyed this episode, leave a review in iTunes! I’ll totally love you forever, or at least for the next 50 years.