Honestly, I never got the whole thing about not wanting to look like a freshman. Entire blogs have been dedicated to this goal, and yet, being out of college, I honestly wish I was a freshman again.
Sure, back then I was super poor and had to deal with old people asking me, “Which one is the Start button?” – but it was a ton of fun. Two words: mattress jousting. Don’t tell your RA that I gave you that idea.
I’ve been getting lots of emails from students just now starting college lately; if you’re one of them, well, welcome!.
Hopefully you’ll find College Info Geek to be a helpful resource through your college years. After listening to this podcast, you might want to check out the Start page to learn more about the site.
For those of you who have been been around for a while, don’t tell the newbies about that one time with the thing at the place. Seriously.
Anyway, today’s podcast is dedicated to freshmen. I’ve put together a series of tips I believe you need to know, so if you’re a freshman, definitely download this episode.
If you’re not, you may find it helpful anyway!
Items Mentioned in this Episode:
I mention a lot of things in this episode, so I’ve split them up into categories this time around:
- Dropbox – cloud sync for all your files (use this)
- Evernote – best note-taking app ever
- AdBlock – blocks ads
- Web of Trust – tells you if websites are unsafe to visit
- Google Calendar – my default calendar app
- Fantastical – great calendar app for iOS and Mac. Works with Google Calendar through iCal.
- Wunderlist - Wonderful (hah) to-do app
Articles for Building Your Personal Brand:
- Building a Personal Brand You Can Be Proud Of
- The Ultimate Guide to Building a Personal Website
- 5 Things You Can Do Today to Make Yourself 2 Billion Percent More Hirable
- 14 Hard-Hitting Reasons You Must Start a Blog in College
- How to Make Great-Looking Business Cards
- My Impossible List - (all my current goals)
- How to Learn More Outside of Class Than You Could Ever Learn Inside It – the guide on self-education I mentioned
Things You Should Do After Listening
Yeah, I’m giving you homework. Deal with it.
- First and foremost: As detailed in this episode’s last tip, take some time to sit down and try to write out your true life goals - not just career or school-specific ones.
- Read some of the articles linked above on personal branding, and start building your personal brand.
- If you liked this episode subscribe in iTunes and write a review!
If you’d like to get more great content, plus some exclusive resources to help you build your personal brand, subscribe to the CIG newsletter using the box below!